Thread: Line Combos: Time to change up the line combos?
View Single Post
Old
10-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Where has Giroux excelled at with the Flyers? At center, not at wing, so I really don't care where other coaches played him. Also this team doesn't have a number one, two and three line - The Flyers have three interchangeable number one lines, Carter will still get his typical even strength minutes, along with his time on the powerplay, and the occasional penalty kill, so I don't buy that argument.
Mike Richards centers our no. 1 line.

Giroux has played well at both wing and center... however, lets look at him supposedly "excelling."

His rookie season he came in during the spring and potted 27 pts in 42 games. Nice totals, and nothing to sneeze at, but also not world beater numbers either.

He followed that up with a full season (where he played both wing and center) and posted 16-31-47 -9... that is not "excelling."

He had a hot playoff run, and good on him, but that doesn't mean it's the wise choice to put him at center for an 82 game campaign... especially when in the process you are putting our best goal scorer on the wing, and, btw, also putting his stick to the outside where you're muting his shot considerably.

If Carter is going to play wing, he should be on the left side, because that lets his stick face the open ice, which takes the most advantage of his shooting ability... putting him on the RW is going to naturally take a big chunk out of Carter's offensive ability because it puts his forehand side against the wall, removing a lot of the angle on his shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Giroux was moved to center for healthy chunks of his final year.

The playoffs? Pretty sure most of that was from the middle.

So I'm pretty sure you're wrong about that, but your reasoning behind moving Giroux back to wing (which I already know because I've seen it before) is absolutely correct.
Giroux was taking draws for his junior team... pretty sure he was still playing wing. They were literally sending him out to take the draw, and then immediately shifting when he got a chance as I recall. However, that's really beside the point, as he was never really a "center" before he showed up here.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote