View Single Post
Old
10-18-2010, 11:40 AM
MadArcand
Whaletarded

vCash: 500
Earl Ingarfield, C

- 8th in NHL in goals in 1961-62
- greatly increased his production in the postseason, scoring 17 pts in 21 games there
- #79 on the infamous all-time Ranger list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pelletier
However one player who everyone appreciated was Earl Ingarfield.

Earl was definitely not considered to be a star hockey player by most standards, but rather a spirited and determined journeyman who did his job very well although virtually unnoticed. Only three times did the underrated Earl score more than 20 goals, yet he was known for his graceful skating and a booming shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOH
Centre Earl Ingarfield was a consistent centre who possessed good speed and a decent shot. He was respected wherever he played for his work ethic and dedication to team play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorthanded: The Untold Story of the Seals: Hockey's Most Colorful Team by Brad Kurtzberg
"He was one talented player - a finesse player who was always meticulous about his personal attire and how he played. He handled the puck with confidence and was a great passer."
-Chris Worthy-

Ingarfield finished the 1968-69 season on fire. Due to injuries to a number of Seals players, Ingarfield played all three forward positions at various times. He also played the point on power play. In 26 games with Oakland, Ingarfield managed 8 goals and 23 points.

"He has stepped in and done an outstanding job in every place we've needed him", Seals coach Fred Glover said at the time. "That's because he's a first-class professional with top NHL ability." To Glover, the acquisition of Ingarfield was one of the keys to Seals' second place finish in 1968-69. "There was something different about him and something special." Glover said. "He changed our team the second half of the 1968-69 season"

Ingarfield's torrid offensive pace continued into the postseason. In the seven-game series with the Kings, the ex-Ranger led the Seals with four goals and 10 points. One of his goals was a game winner. Ingarfield is the Seals' all-time leading scorer in the postseason with 11 points in 11 games.

Ingarfield decribed himself on the ice by saying "I had a good hockey sense and saw the ice well. I could skate fairly well and guess I scored my share of goals. I put the team before individual goals. I respected my teammates and I'd like to think they respected me. I could check and play defense as well as offense. I was happy to play in the NHL."

For his teammates, especially the younger players, Ingarfield provided leadership.

Last edited by MadArcand: 10-18-2010 at 12:02 PM.
MadArcand is offline   Reply With Quote