View Single Post
Old
10-05-2003, 11:39 AM
igor*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
I'm not so sure on this one. If it is a kid (22 - 23) I would agree but I don't think that Luoma is like that. I don't know for sure but I am thinking that the league he played in last year is faster (better) than the AHL. Why get him used to a slower game? Everytime NA players go to Europe to play in a larger rink it takes them a couple of games to adjust. The same when Europeans come here for tournaments. I think the adjustment is hardest for d men but not that tricky or we could never win in Europe and Europeans could never win here in tournaments. Luoma has played his 20 minutes a game in Europe - why move him backwards?
That is a compelling argument.

I think they'll keep Bergeron though, just going by some of the comments made, and the fact that Bergeron can be useful on the powerplay. Even if he is no better or worse than any of the veteran Dmen ... at least that gives the other guys a breather during the PP.

Moving Fergie to make room for Luoma would certainly be an option ... though I don't know if MacTavish would like that gamble. Luoma has looked decent in pre-season, but not fantastic or anything. And with Fergie at least you know what you get. Maybe a short stint in the AHL wouldn't hurt, just to get a better gauge of how good he can be in the North American Style of game.