View Single Post
Old
10-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Oilers1*

vCash: 500
I think Lowe's best strength is the one he's been most critized for, actually, and that's his ability to maximize his return on salary dumps.

The Weight trade notwithstanding (and there were some extenuating circumstances surrounding that one), I think he's managed to do three things with every salary dump:

1. Turn a single asset into multiple assets
2. Improve the team long-term
3. Minimize short-term losses

Not an easy task, IMO. Now, Slats could pull off some nice dumps, too, like dealing Arnott for Guerin but I like Lowe's philosophy better. The best example (since its the earliest and, therefore, the easiest to assess) is the Hamrlik for Brewer, Green and Pick deal. That deal improved our farm system, improved our depth and added a premier young blueliner. By comparison, the Guerin-Arnott deal added a better, but older winger who provided a short-term boost but who left after only a few years.

As critized as the Niinimaa move was, I think it has the potential to work almost as well. If Izzy becomes a 25-goal/150-PIM force and Torres emerges as a nasty Mike Grier, we've added significant depth and ability to our forward corp.