View Single Post
Old
10-20-2010, 08:00 AM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Coach Terry Crisp

Crisp was an excitable, emotional coach who went to war for his players and expected them to do the same for him. There are so many good coaches left, with comparable accomplishments, but after looking at everything Crisp did, both in and out of the NHL, he was the right choice for us.

- Stanley Cup (1989)
- Memorial Cup Finalist (1985)
- President's Trophy (1988, 1999)
- 3 Times top-3 in Adams award voting (2nd-1988, 3rd-1989, 3rd-1996)
- OHL Coach Of the Year (1983, 1985)
- Led Calgary to three straight division titles
- Guided Tampa Bay to a .425 win% through first 5 seasons, much better than most expansion franchises, and their first playoff berth (the only one they would have for seven more years)
- 286-267-78 in the regular season (.515)
- 24-19 in the playoffs (.556)
- 326-214-30 in Juniors and Minors (.598)
- One of only 14 people to have won the Cup as both player and head coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk Together Forever: The Broad Street Bullies, Then and Now
Coupling what he learned from Bowman with his observations of Shero gave him a terrific coaching foundation. "I learned from Scotty about discipline," Crisp explains. One man runs the ship and only one man can run it. Scotty ruled with an iron fist. He ruled with no-nonsense. He ruled with head games. So did Fred Shero, but their head games were different..."

... Still, though, Crisp learned so much from the likes of Bowman and Shero. "I used Scotty and Freddie's practice models throughout my coaching career," Crisp says now. "I just honed them to what a particular team needed and went from there."

... The Greyhound surged to 47–19–2 in crisps second year. By the time his six-year run as head coach there had ended, he had guided Sault Ste. Marie to three league championships and an impressive 249–149–12 record. "I chuckle when people ask me about my coaching style and its success," Crisp admits. "It's like asking me what kind of a horse jockey I would be. Put me up on secretariat and I would be one hell of a jockey. Put me up on a plow horse, and I'm going to be a really bad jockey."

"I look back on my six years there and think it was the best grounding I could've had as a head coach," Crisp explains. "Those kids taught me more than I could've learned anywhere else. Hockey end of it was easy in terms of the X's and O's. It's the social aspect of it that was the challenge."… His coaching style, a mix of his two mentors, evolved during those years in the OHL.

"My mandate when I got to Calgary was to get a ring. They wanted the Stanley Cup. The owners had all the money they wanted. They didn't care about first place. They didn't care about sold-out buildings. They wanted the Stanley Cup, pure and simple. If you're going to make an omelette, you're going to have to crack some eggs. I stepped on a lot of toes. I bruised a lot of egos. But I could never lose sight of the fact that I had to win the Stanley Cup."

"From a satisfaction standpoint, it is Cup I won as a coach that stands out. As a player all you worry about is yourself, your job is your responsibility. As a coach, you have to worry about 20 guys. You worry about your lineup, the teams attitude, the whole ballgame. That makes winning with that group very gratifying."

The next season, the flames were once again outstanding, falling just a couple points shy of a third straight presidents trophy. However, they were shocked in the first round of the playoffs by Wayne Gretzky's Los Angeles Kings. Crisp would get fired shortly thereafter. How can a coach who is had his team after were very near the top of the league for three straight years, including Stanley Cup triumph, be let go so quickly? It goes back to crisp's approach to the Calgary job. He was asked to win a cup. In driving the team to that goal, he was tough on some players. In the end, that dictated a shorter term as head coach.

"Everyone wants to have respect. You want respect from your coworkers and those around you. Coaches are no different. But respect is a two-way road. It ticks me off when I hear GM's say, the players no longer respect the coach, so we had to fire him. What do you mean, they lost respect for the coach? Because he was tough on them? Because he demanded they earn their pay? Because he demanded he get 60 min. of hockey out of them? Well you know what? There are a lot of players who I didn't always have a lot of respect for either. But I'm not allowed to say. So as a coach you can learn early on that it's not fair. Don't think you're going to go into a fair arena as a coach. You're not."

The fact that some of the players from his championship Calgary team probably, in his words, hate his guts, is a difficult realization for crisp. He would've loved to have them revere him the way the Flyers did Shero. However it was a different situation in Calgary. "Looking back at it, I wish some of the players that I pushed so hard back then had a better rapport with me now. I don't feel bad about how I treated them. It was necessary to achieve what we did. I'm not sure to this day that we would have been able to win it all if I had worried about developing that report. You walk a fine line."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Orr Hall Of Fame
He was named Coach of the Year in the OHA in 1983-84 while with the Soo Greyhounds. Moving back to the NHL, Terry joined the Calgary Flames in 1987-88, and in his second NHL season as a head coach, he guided the Flames to the Stanley Cup. After three seasons in Calgary, Crisp was replaced behind the bench. In 1992-93, he was hired as head coach of the Tampa Bay Lightning. He was head coach from the franchise's inception through October of 1997, coaching 391 games - the most ever by an expansion coach. He also served as the assistant coach of the silver medal-winning Canadian team at the 1992 Winter Olympic Games in Albertville, France.

It's no wonder then why Terry Crisp is one of the most recognizable names when it comes to the hockey world!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Battle Of Alberta
Now under the tutelage of new coach Terry Crisp — a straight-shooting ice general who had learned to be as mean as he needed to be when he won two Stanley Cups as a member of the Philadelphia Flyers in their Broad Street Bullies days...
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Petersburg Times, May 23, 1987
Terry Crisp, a candidate for several NHL coaching positions (snippet of pay article)
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pertersburg Times, April 22, 1992
Terry Crisp said he still is weighing job offers from the Tampa Bay Lightning and two other teams (snippet of pay article)
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Petersburg Times, November 16, 1992
Calgary goaltender Mike Vernon said Lightning coach Terry Crisp, who spent three years with the Flames (1987-90), has done a remarkable job with Tampa Bay (snippet of pay article)
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Petersburg Times, November 3, 1993
"Whenever you play a Terry Crisp team, you know they will always play hard and shoot a lot," Nordiques coach Pierre Page said... (snippet of pay article)
A great article that shows how Terry Crisp can rub some players who aren't as mentally strong or mature the wrong way, and how it would be a benefit to have an associate coach to smooth out these problems:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Daily News, April 21, 1996
Wednesday was the last day Tampa Bay GM Phil Esposito figured to be putting out fires in his dressing room. But, the morning after the Lightning got waxed by the Flyers in the first playoff game of team history, he ended up chairing a half-hour meeting with coach Terry Crisp, associate coach Wayne Cashman and Roman Hamrlik because the fourth-year defenseman had gone public with complaints about diminished ice time and Crisp's coaching methods.

Hamrlik is a huge fan of Cashman, who handled the defensemen in Hamrlik's early seasons and who plays "good cop" during Crisp's temper tantrums. But Crisp has been handling the whole bench lately, causing Hamrlik some discomfort.

"I feel better when 'Cash' coaches the defense. I feel more easy, more relieved," the Czech Republic native told the Tampa Tribune. "With Crispy, I know if I make a mistake or they score a goal he (Crisp is) going to yell at me and I'm going to sit on the bench more. . . . I try to do what Crispy wants: Shoot the puck off the boards or the glass. But I'm better when I pass and skate."

Esposito told Hamrlik if he doesn't like the coach, tough. And teammate ***** **** was incredulous at the fourth-year player's behavior.

"Some of these guys haven't got a clue what it could be like for them with other teams," said Shaw, who played for Esposito with the Rangers. "You play for a guy like Brian Sutter (in Boston), like I did, or a guy like Mike Keenan, now that's rough."

The Hamrlik situation bears watching. Crisp is at the end of his contract and is said to be a candidate for the Toronto job. Cashman, an outstanding hockey man well-respected in the Tampa dressing room, certainly deserves consideration for the Lightning spot if Crisp departs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Petersburg Times, June 9, 1996
Good for Terry Crisp. He gets the contract he wants and deserves. Good for Lightning fans: They get the coach they want and Tampa Bay deserves ...(snippet of pay article)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tribune, October 27, 1997
Some Lightning players are harboring guilt that Terry Crisp was made to pay for their hockey sins. Lightning players expressed guilt, ... (snippet of pay article)

Last edited by seventieslord: 11-01-2010 at 12:50 AM.
seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote