Old
10-21-2010, 06:38 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I'll take the bait...

There's a difference between limiting Nikki's playing time because he isn't doing what we know he can and should do (i.e. score) versus scratching him after he played one of his best games because he wasn't (allegedly) doing something which isn't really his strong suit (i.e. checking). I'm sorry, but that scratch on the West Coast trip last year was BS, plain and simple.

Furthermore, does it make sense to keep trotting out a second line that isn't getting the job done? It isn't even about punishment--it is about getting results. They aren't--something has to give.

I agree that Nikki and Juice have had some chemistry. I'm just not sure that Nash has displayed any chemistry with Brassard and Voracek to this point.

I'll be honest, I'm at a loss to come up with any great line combos. But, we don't have a depth problem.
I suspect there is often more to a story than is published. Clearly Umberger's and Filatov's comments before this season indicated Nikki needed some attitude adjustment. I don't know why he was benched last night, yes he looked like he was running out of gas a bit, but so did everyone else. Since I was there and obviously couldn't hear whatever news was reported on TV and radio, I wondered if Filatov was injured. I just knew he stopped getting shifts.

Does it make sense to keep trotting out a second line that isn't getting it done? Like most things, it depends. Certainly the line might be improved by putting Umberger there, but at what cost?
Without Moreau on the third line, you get Pahlson, Dorsett and ??

I might flip MacKenzie and Brassard, but it's just a stopgap. Howson has once more decided to play a pat hand. One that was 14th in the West a year ago. This team will be like this until Brassard realizes his potential and Johansen realizes his, while the young defensemen like Moore, Goloubef, Savard and Ruth become top 4 defensemen. It may be a long wait, because what if one or more of them never do?

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote