View Single Post
Old
10-22-2010, 12:24 PM
MarkovsKnee

vCash: 500
Bieksa would bring physical play and a temper to our blueline and that's about it. He looked like he would develop into a legit #2 defenceman, a Beauchemin type when he first got up here, but that achilles injury he suffered has really, really affected his play.

He's slow, and takes the stupidest penalties ever. If it was between him and Spacek, IDK. Bieksa is more physical but takes dumb penalties, like hothead, stupid, WTF are you doing! dumb.

The big difference is Bieksa is UFA this year while Spacek has one more year. I'd trade for Bieksa to replace Spacek just to achieve that! Bieksa also might be a good partner for Markov since he'd step up and protect him whereas Spacek won't.

So, yeah, if this was a straight Spacek for Bieksa deal I'd go for it. But, it isn't. The Canucks are looking to get rid of a contract and Bieksa is expendable for them. We don't have the cap room to add Bieksa unless we trade Spacek. There would have to be a 3rd team involved who could take Spacek or Hamrlik off our hands. Not sure who that would be and why they wouldn't just do a direct trade with the Canucks to get Bieksa over either Spacek or Hamerlik.

I know the Canucks are interested in both O'Byrne and Maxwell. Maxwell is from North Vancouver and OB is from Victoria. Gillis has an interest in bringing the homeboys back to Vancouver. I can see a trade involving them at some point, but not for Bieksa. We can't afford him and he isn't worth a 2-for-1.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote