View Single Post
Old
10-05-2003, 02:04 PM
theoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Lowe's done a solid job imo, although there are cleary better GM and also clearly worse GMS.
The problem I have comparing GM's is the same one everybody else has. How do you compare the guys playing with $65 million dollar budgets with guys playing with significantly less.

Also when Brian Burke swung that deal to get both the Sedins at the draft he made a deal that was the envy of every GM in the league. When the Sedins failed to be impact players all of a sudden he doesn't look that great but it still took the same amount of skill and negotiating to get them. With trades and drafting so much of it relies on your scouts and the GM's only real impact is hiring the right scouts in the first place and getting little extras around the edge of the trade like a third round pick or a throw in player that blossoms late.

What I like best about Lowe, though, and the reason that I think he will be a top GM in this league for a long time, is his need to win. He is not trying to build a good team - he is trying to build an excellent team. And with his budget that takes guts. Sometimes taking those extra chances costs something but I would much rather have this team than the team we had three years ago. Younger and more potential.

The trouble with the CB I am guessing is that he has never seen a winner assembled so he is a little confused about the process.