View Single Post
Old
10-23-2010, 09:11 AM
JTG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
This. Top five with us being more like 4 or 5. Great depth. But we have no real number one defenseman and without that you can not call yourself the best in the league.

That said, Pens' fans are thrilled with what we have, when healthy. Big caveat there. Thank God for that depth this stretch. Goalies is still a big question mark as I can not wait to see what they can do with that defense, healthy, in front of them. That is still a month or so off it seems. I include Staal in that defense along with out other forwards. This defense makes the pens really a team with maybe the fewest exploitable holes in the league. Yeah, wing, wing, wing, blah, blah, blah. The Pens have not had much trouble scoring the last five years, so I do not see wing as some huge exploitable weakness. Top five defense in the league along with what we have with the rest of the team, I will take any day of the week.
I'm not sure I agree with this theory. The unit as a whole is more important than one player. How Martin and Letang (and even Goligoski) are playing right now, all of them, including Orpik and Michalek, can eat top pairing type mins, and Martin can be that guy who goes against the oppositions best. Not many teams can say what we can. From the looks of it, we have 5 minute munching defensemen on our hands.

I said it right after we signed him, that if Martin puts up 45-50 points here, he'll be considered by many more, a number 1 defenseman.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote