View Single Post
Old
10-23-2010, 12:50 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Really? If Spezza is so great why isn't he leading a pretty talented team deep into the playoffs?

The guy is a fine stat padding center, playing with world class players in his career like Heatley and Alfredsson.

He isn't a guy that can or will carry a team to a Cup.

So why exactly is an ENTIRE TEAM of solid young, skilled, hard working players worth dismantling and adding a TON of salary in ONE player, worth it??

Its not.

Therefore, its not ridiculous. And there are guys off limits.

If there wasn't a salary cap, then yea, fine, but there is, and building a team is how things have to be done, not buying one.

There is no possible way to add Spezza and his salary and still ice a full team.
Neither has Ovechkin. Neither has Kopitar. Neither have the Sedins. Neither has Savard -- yet all the aforementioned are world class players who would make the Rangers infinitely better.

I'm curious: are we looking to win the Stanley Cup, or simply compete for the Stanley Cup? I say right now, with this roster, neither.

Spezza is no Messier. But you can only pray that any of our young core players develop into half of what Spezza is from an offensive standpoint.

And you make it sound as if Spezza is the lone dog on Ottawa. That franchise is riddled with notorious underachievers. Last season, they had no true No. 1 d-man, two abominations in goal and vanishing acts from guys like Kovalev.

You don't acquire Jason Spezza to automatically win a Cup. You do it to make the Rangers instantly formidable at every position. And I'm talking "oh no, look who's on the ice" formidable.

Besides, you put Henrik on any Ottawa team from 2004 to the present and they are reaching 100 points in the standings every year.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote