View Single Post
Old
10-05-2003, 02:55 PM
Lowetide

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I for one am no fan of Lowe's. He has some good sides, but has plenty bad sides to him. I feel he is on the bottom half of the GM Pool. I would rank him ahead of idiots such as Barnett & Mike O'Connell, but behind some of the less-than-shrewd such as Riseborough and McPhee.
Risebrough? Boy, you're a tough guy to please. Lowe's in the top 15, I'd say. A quick glance tells me we can put him clear of Pittsburgh, Carolina, Florida, Columbus, San Jose, Nashville, Calgary, NYR, Chicago, NYI, Washington, Boston, Toronto, Tampa Bay, Phoenix, St. Louis.

Is that fair? That's 16 unless I listed someone twice. I won't debate Dallas, Vancouver and a few others, but at a glance I'd say he's just outside the top 10.

Quote:
Lowe's major weakness is that he's only average in so many areas. He's pretty hit & miss with drafting. He nailed Hemsky it looks like, and did well with Comrie & Semenov. However, there have been a lot of average to poor picks - too many perhaps. His drafting record is spotty, but I would say average.
He didn't draft Comrie, Semenov. His first real draft year was 2001, and since then Hemsky is the only real impact guy. However, Markkanen, Stoll and a few others have made it. It's WAY too early to pass judgement on any of his drafts, but initial signs are very good.

Quote:
Trading - one of Lowe's major weakness', I'd say. A good 50% of the time, Lowe seems to outright lose a trade. Worst of all, was the Doug Weight trade which essentially doomed the franchise to mediocrity for a few years. There is no spin on this one, boys and girls. All that's left to show for Doug Weight is Marty Reasoner at the moment. Trades such as the Brewer trades and Guerin trades were not bad considering the circumstances, but certainly not great.
The Oilers have finished with 93 points (00-01), 92points (01-02) and 92 points (02-03). Not exactly doomed to mediocrity.

The Weight trade has to be considered in context. Weight was on the verge of being offered a 5 million dollar/season package when Roenick's deal made any negotiation below 8 million impossible. Understanding he was less than a calendar year from ufa, Lowe dealt him to one of two teams Weight stated he would go to. The payoff, while certainly less than full value, has sustained the organization.

Quote:
Free agency - Lowe is pretty hit and miss here, too. You're right about Staios - that was a stroke of genius. Unfortunatly, Dopita was a stroke of idiocy.
Dopita was a trade, and an attempt to address a weakness. I don't think it was idiocy at all. Didn't work out is all. I think maybe you're expecting perfection when clearly there is none. Burke has made errors too, as I recall.

Quote:
Lowe's biggest downfall however, is the contract table. Yes, he did well with Smyth this year, but Lowe has had some serious problems. He couldn't get Weight signed when other small market teams have been able to lock up their best players (Ottawa - Alfredsson, Vancouver - Naslund, Calgary - Iginla). He signed Mike Comrie to a stupid contract, regardless of the pressure. Brewer's contract is prooving to be a touch high. The recent long-term Moreau signing looks like a bit much, Laraque too has been kept around at far too high of a salary & for far too long. And I haven't even begun on the Tommy Salo contract.
Mizral, Weight was 30. He was an impending ufa. Naslund is at 4.5 (last season) and is 2 years from his ufa contract. Perhaps we can wait until he's a free agent then? That would be a fair comparison to Weight's deal.

Quote:
Anyhow, Lowe is alright I guess. You can't continue to use the 'Small market club' lines though, when teams such as Minnesota,Vancouver, and Ottawa are screaming past the Oilers as they remain in neutral.
Mizral, let me ask you something: were Oilers fans as glib as you are being in this post when their team was winning all those Stanley Cups?

I bet we waited until they won the first one before we acted this righteous.

Quote:
One last thing: While some consider this a good move, I must say, the hiring of Craig MacTavish was perhaps his dumbest move as GM. While I know some guys like him as coach, I personally think he's just not up to snuff. One of the worst coaches in the league, even.
I do not understand the reason for your post. Your are way over the line and I find your rantings offensive. This isn't a debate, it's a drive by.