View Single Post
Old
10-05-2003, 03:04 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor dyck
mizral, If you had made random jabs at your keyboard with your eyes closed and wearing boxing mitts, the law of probability states you would have made more correct statments than you last post. It was completely wrong in every respect and that is an accomplishment.
Thanks, I guess.

Quote:
I feel he is on the bottom half of the GM Pool. I would rank him ahead of idiots such as Barnett & Mike O'Connell, but behind some of the less-than-shrewd such as Riseborough and McPhee.

you meen the high payroll capitols who absolutley sucked last year or the minny team who is 23rd in the leage in developing prospects (the job of an expansion team gm is to build prospcts, any wins are pure bonus). Go to the main board and ask the posters to rank the gm and lowe is in the top 5 of every list.
McPhee has GM'd a team beyond the second round of the playoffs, remember. Yes, the Caps are a laughfest now, but they are making strides towards respectability, and have one of the best prospect groupings in the league, lead by the amazing Steve Eminger & the Russian Semin, not to mention a great goaltender they *stole* from Philidelphia in the Adam Oates trade in Oulette.

Riseborough hired a brilliant coach and made it to the conference finals. Who cares where they are in the prospect department? The job of an expansion team is to build prospects? Baloney. The job of ANY hockey team in the league is to win. The Wild have created a winning hockey team in a very short time. That alone is incredibly respectable.

Actually, I seem to recall Lowe wasn't even in the top 10 when that poster did the top 10 ranking. I can't clearly recall it mind you, but I remember he was NOT in the top 5.

Quote:
All that's left to show for Doug Weight is Marty Reasoner at the moment.

don't tell this to stoll or Desaulier
I don't consider draft picks part of a trade, simply because the team that held the draft picks may not have picked the same way.

Quote:

Trades such as the Brewer trades and Guerin trades were not bad considering the circumstances, but certainly not great.

the islanders lose 10 mill a year and somehow hammer is a bargain? Ask boston if they would rather have devo and hemsky instead of watching dollar bill guerin with the stars.
The Isles have had their problems, but Hamrlik has never been part of it. Hamrlik has been a #1 defenseman for so many years and has become part of the elite NHL defenseman. I don't think we can say the same for Brewer.

As for Guerin, well, I said O'Connell was an idiot, didn't I?

Quote:
Dopita was a stroke of idiocy

cost the oilers a third round pick. It was a gamble that failed and every gm takes chances every now and then.
True, but this cost more than a 3rd round pick. Dopita was making a lot of money for half the season, was he not? Plus the buyout eventually cost the Oilers 2/3rds of his remaining contract. Some mistakes are made by every GM, but this one in particular was a pretty bad one.

Quote:
He couldn't get Weight signed when other small market teams have been able to lock up their best players

you mean the sens who went bankrupt, the canucks who lost 20 million in two years before last year, and the flames who can't add depth because 1/5 of their payroll is one player?
No, I mean the Sens who came 1 win from the Stanley Cup Finals, the Canucks who have clearly past the Oilers in just about every department, and the Flames who made sure they kept around the only player who was worth the price of admission.

Quote:
Anyhow, Lowe is alright I guess. You can't continue to use the 'Small market club' lines though, when teams such as Minnesota,Vancouver, and Ottawa are screaming past the Oilers as they remain in neutral.

you mean minny who has made the playoffs once, the canucks who have 3 players and zero depth afterwords, or ott who benefitted from 5 top 5 picks before defaulting on widows' loans? Those are the model franchises?

No, I mean the Minnesota Wild who are becoming, essentially, a license to print money, & the Canucks and Senators who have become better & more lucrative franchises than the Oilers have.

PS: Didn't mean to get in a flame war with you, Thor. However, to argue that the Senators and the Wild are not a model franchise for many teams in this league is nutso. I can tell you right now, if the Oilers could get the fan support & the payroll of the Wild team, along with the winning, they'd do it in a second.