View Single Post
Old
10-24-2010, 03:39 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I understand that Gaborik and Hank aren't getting any younger, but they're also not even 30 years old yet. Hank has another 7+ years in him, and Gaborik's health is a gamble regardless of what the rest of the team looks like. I don't want to rush the process, just because the age of our two best players is higher each year.
I understand your POV. I'm not a fan of rushing things either, but I think that's the reality the Rangers have put themselves in.

Quote:
I really dread a scenario where we end up with Richards for 7 years, and $55MM, and then we watch our young core go elsewhere when we can't trade a 35 year old Richards who's game is starting to decline.
The scenario I'm afraid of is 3-4 years from now, where the team still hasn't gotten over the playoff bubble hump, some of our highly touted prospects don't develop as planned, and we're stuck right back where we began.

Quote:
We do have a solid core, and a quality group of prospects as well, but that doesn't mean we should gamble on the unproven ones coming through. Trading Dubinsky when we have Kreider on the farm is not a good idea. Trading Dubinsky when Kreider has proven he can play in the NHL and contribute? That's something I can get on board with.
I agree, it would be a lot easier to make such a decision if Kreider was more of a proven commodity, because I do think it all comes down to Dubinsky. Stepan isn't getting traded, and I don't think Anisimov is either, nor do I want to see either traded. Dubinsky and McDonagh are the two pieces that make the most sense to deal. But we don't have that luxury. The only playmaking centers of Richards' ilk, or better, that are schedule to be free agents in 2012, 2013, or 2014 are guys who realistically speaking, are not likely to hit the free agent market (Crosby, Getzlaf, Malkin). It's just so rare that guys this good at this position become free agents, and they don't exactly get traded very often, either.

Either way, it should make for an interesting off-season. I do believe that the Rangers will be a serious contender for Richards, one way or another.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote