View Single Post
10-24-2010, 11:28 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
yeah, for years I've adapted to playing D with a relatively longer length, about halfway up my nose in skates.

I wanted to improve my stick handling and shooting and began experimenting with shorter lengths and am now down to just above the upper lip, about 1 1/2 inches shorter than what I had become accustomed to.

My stick handling and shooting have improved tremendously and I've refined my defensive game, BUT I tend to miss sometimes with my poke & sweep checks due to the shorter length.

It's a trade off. When I settled with this current length, I was missing on my sweeps & pokes like half the time. It angered the hell out of me, but it drove me to practice and play more whenever I can and adapt to this new length.
Yeah, if you're expecting to have a reach that's 1.5 inches longer than it usually is it's easy to get frustrated. Bottom line is, the stick becomes an extension of your arm and once you're aware of where it ends you can skate in closer to compensate for a shorter stick.

My stick used to be long enough that my top hand (which is my dominant hand) just anchored the the stick at my hip, so I was using my stick like a boat oar. Once I shortened my stick it freed up my top hand to cross over my body, which allowed me to angle my blade better for handling the puck. I mean, I had to get used to moving the stick differently to pass and to shoot but it opened up a lot of possibilities.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote