View Single Post
Old
10-05-2003, 03:28 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Yeah but, the Flames have alot less depth than Edmonton now. I'm not saying the Flames are wrong here. Just different philosophies. The Flames chose to throw a bunch of money at Turek and Iginla. The now have, IMO, one of the better lines in the NHL with Conroy-Iginla-McCammond. They don't have awhole lot more.

Edmonton could have gave all that money to Weight, just like Ottawa could have given all that money to Yashin. The Oilers decided that the money would be better spent elsewhere. That doesn't make Lowe a bad GM.

It alone doesn't make Lowe a bad GM, but I still feel he could have gotten much more. I mean, if Hamrlik got, say, Timmander (not sure if he was an Isle then) and Green, would you say the same thing?

You are right that it's just a different philosophy, but imagine if say, you had the Flames top line and Button hadn't completely screwed up in other areas, and was able to draft a litter better & make a deal for depth along the way. Heck, imagine if Lowe was able to find the money to lock up Weight long term somewhere along the line at, say, the expect of a Laraque & a Moreau?

I don't think the Yashin comparison is a good one though, Yashin was absolutely hated in Ottawa. The public forced that trade.