View Single Post
Old
10-25-2010, 11:58 AM
LateNightOilerFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Sounds like you just don't like DiPietro as your #1 goalie. I think that's a fair point and I won't argue that with you.

You, like many fans, would prefer a goalie play more like Roloson. Stay in the net, don't pretend to be a defenseman, etc.
Even if 100% healthy, you don't like his style of goaltending, you don't believe it's best for the defense and best for team success.

Your point is that, contract aside, Roloson's better both in style and in overall goaltending. He gives the team a better chance to win.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
-----------------------
I won't argue the merits of a goalie who just stops the puck, controls rebounds and stays in his net. But that's not DP, never has been.

I believe a goalie that can move the puck well can really help a team and the defense - Brodeur did that with great success for a number of years, as have several others. DiPietro does that extremely well and YES, he often gets himself and the team in trouble. Does he turnover the puck as much as Jurcina or Gervais or Wisniewski - debatable (but that's not the point you make so let's leave it at that). The team needs to adjust to how DP plays and vice versa, that will take time.

In terms of PURE GOALTENDING, DiPietro's a very talented and athletic goalie who can make both spectacular saves and win games. He did that singlehandedly for many years before he got hurt, on some of the least talented teams ever assembled in pro hockey. It's a SMARTER move to help DiPietro get back to that level than it is to play Roloson for 50 games each year.

Sure, the contract is a huge part of it, no doubt. But he was signed to that contract because the team believed he was TALENTED enough (with compete level, a love for Long Island, etc) to be their goalie. Before he got hurt, he was looking like he would be that superstar the team needed and a player the team could win with. Let's not forget that.

DiPietro's disappointed ONLY with his injuries - hardly something he has control over. He never disappointed with his commitment to the franchise, his work effort and his willingness to battle, practice hard and to win games for THIS FRANCHISE.

Rather ironic when you consider how many fans whine about players who "refuse to come to this ****** team and ****** building"

We often overlook that and evaluate him simply on his last intercepted clearing attempt, not on the player who was showing real promise and immense talent before he got hurt.

I think Roloson's a great goalie, I believe that TODAY, in ANY ONE GAME, he probably is the goalie that gives the Islanders the best chance to win. But to me, that's a small point. This team is building to become a perennial contender for many years. This is long after Roloson is gone and DiPietro is the most talented goalie, with the highest upside, they have, regardless of contract.

Roloson, today, may be better than DP not unlike Weight, today, is better than Niederreiter.
Re the bolded - the concern I have is it may be smarter to play Roli for 50 games this year, so that DP has a better chance of fully recovering in order to play at least 50 games next season and hopefully onwards.

In other words, Roli was signed for 2 years to give DP enough time to fully recover. Why is it unreasonable to have DP move from hardly playing, to a 30 game season while the team has the luxury of having Roli, then have DP be completely ready to re-assume the starting role next season?

Why was it necessary to say at the beginning of the season, Rick's back, he's our number 1 again, he'll get most of the games?