View Single Post
Old
05-12-2005, 04:57 PM
norrisnick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
I agree with the notion of higher standards and while I can see the effect that longevity has had on modern players are you discounting it in past players as well? Long careers are not simply a recent phenomenon. Gordie Howe played for 25 years. Jean Beliveau for 18. Henri Richard played for 20. Red Kelly played for 20.

Do you diminish these players as well for their longevity too?

I'm not attacking you here, I'm just curious as to how you treat longevity of past players versus longevity of modern ones.

As far as eras go you have mentioned that you attach less weight to numbers piled up in the offensive era of the mid-80s and early 90s. By that definition points accumulated in the last 7-8 years would should not suffer that distinction because the current era is definitely defensive. Again just curious as to how these variables fit in your system.
They don't. A player must dominate individual seasons in order to be great. One can't "simply" outscore all but 2 players in a 25 year span and be considered great. That's just "hanging around" and padding stats.