Thread: Larry Brooks: Torts:White's Future In Doubt
View Single Post
Old
10-25-2010, 12:20 PM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
I don't care much whether it's White or Williams playing on that fourth line. In the end they will be both out of the lineup once Gabby, Drury and hopefully Prospal return. I am much more interested in Torts' reasons to play Eminger again and scratch Sauer.
I'm not attacking you, but this is the type of post that makes me cringe lately. Tortorella is getting attacked unfairly for the roster decisions of late.

First off, Sauer told the staff he was sore after the Bruin game. I don't know if he pulled himself out or if they decided it as too risky to go with him as an injury possibility in the 3rd game in 4 nights. Go down to 5 D, the 3rd could have gotten ugly with the tired team.

It seems to me that Torts doesn't want to play Eminger or White. This is Sather's personnel call. He ultimately demotes and promotes players. I won't dig up the quotes, but Tortorella basically said he knows what he has in Sauer. He wanted to see Eminger get a crack at his natural side before he concluded anything. Rodent theorized that Tortorella was building a case for Sather to demote Eminger by playing him. They call up Williams in case Prust can't go but Tortorella immediately uses the first extra forward to sit White. That seems like he is possibly playing Sather, or out manuevering him. Sather may be trying to manipulate Tortorella and his lineup calls by not bringing in a 13th forward until yesterday and not demoting Eminger.

Tortorella took some heat last week for the benching of Sauer, but I saw it as Tortorella getting a look at his 3 rotating D, each guy on each side or in Sauer's case sitting him because he is unable to play off wing. It was doomesday a week ago when Sauer got benched, but here we are rolling and the guys that we want to play are playing. The guys we want out are sitting. Eminger performed his duty yesterday: 7th defenseman coming in to spell a regular that needed a night off. White is gone, probably no later than the return of Drury and Gaborik.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote