View Single Post
Old
10-05-2003, 04:18 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Mizral, why do you feel Craig MacTavish is one of the worst coaches in the NHL, as you stated earlier? I have my own opinions on him, but would like your input.
Essentially, it all comes down to the power play.

MacTavish has an okay defensive system, but seems to struggle to get the most out of his goaltending which was just not up to snuff. With MacT, it's either all or nothing when it comes to defense. Some games the Oilers play their system to a tee and are brilliant in their own zone. Other nights it's a gong show with players missing checks.

Also, he seems to never be able to prepare his team enough to avoid awful, month-long slumps in January - February. Twice now the team has lost a lot of big points in those months of the year. Why? I can only blame the coach on this one, because the team is too good to lose that many games in February.

But all in all, it's the power play. I don't know what it is, but the power play seems to never do much of anything. There are signs showing that it might be better this year, but I'm not exactly holding my breath. Why he cannot squeeze more goals out of the talented forwards the Oilers have is beyond me. I mean, how much can we really blame on the lack of a power play quarterback? It seems to me that MavTavish has failed on the power play so much that it has cost the team some much-needed W's that other coaches simply would not have the same problem with.