The 2010 AAA Draft (rosters, picks, discussion, etc.)
View Single Post
10-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
I'm really pleased to get Mike Murphy this late. I've wanted him all draft and kept delaying it by doing things I wouldn't normally do, like take a 2nd goalie before completing my forwards, or taking a 2nd coach at all.
Murphy is hugely underrated. He is described as a solid, honest, hardworking, strong, and physical forward from his scouting reports, and he was strong defensively as well. I saw one of his games on NHL network and he was one of the most physical forwards on the ice, if not the most physical.
I was already sure I wanted Murphy, but just to put into perspective how glaringly obvious it was that he deserved selection at this time:
- He was one of 36 available wingers with 400+ games post expansion who killed at least 30% of their team's penalties throughout their careers (he killed 36%)
- He was 6th in GP among these 36 wingers, making it more impressive that he maintained that level of responsibility.
- He was 2nd among these 36 wingers with a career 0.46 adj. ESPPG (only 7 had even 0.40)
- He was 5th with a career adjusted -1 (one of only 6 with better than a career -10)
- His 556 career points, three 60+ point seasons, and four 25+ goal seasons put him in pretty rare company among any player, not just wingers who killed penalties (it should go without saying that he is easily the cream of that crop offensively)
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by seventieslord