View Single Post
Old
10-26-2010, 01:46 PM
infidelappel*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
A few things. First, the Flyers are giving away the banners that used to hang in the Spectrum. The ones in the WF Center are replicas. The family of Barry Ashbee is getting the one that is no longer needed in the soon-to-be-demolished Spectrum. I imagine the other banners (Clarke, Parent, and Barber) will be given to the former players themselves.

Second, the mentality that Keith Allen, GM of the Stanley Cup-winning teams, was NOT to build a team of goons - it was to build the team from the goalie out. The mentality of toughness was Snider's after the Blues manhandled the Flyers in the playoffs in 1968 & 1969. People too often forget that the Flyers' toughest players were capable of scoring as well. It was Shero who said (paraphrased), "If you can't beat 'em in the alley, you can't beat 'em on the ice." However, what Clarke and Holmgren need to remember is that it was Parent that anchored that team's chances to win. Heck, even Stephenson was a great goalie (beat the Soviets) and Favell was no slouch.

Third, if the fans and front office could remember HOW they won (outworking other teams with muscle and effort; stellar goalie), things would be more peaceful amongst the Flyers' fanbase.

Or not.
Shortly after that post I read about the nature of the ceremonies, and that's col.

I'm not sure if the rest of your post is in disagreement with mine, or not. I said in my post that the thing about the Bullies was that their physicality and hard work was matched by talent, and the best goalie we've ever had anchored them...and the other guys who manned the nets were pretty solid, too.

I've always been very vocal about how the modern perception of the Bullies is totally off-base, and built on the misconception that you can intimidate your way to championships...which a) isn't truly what the championships team did, and b) isn't really even possible anymore.

And don't even get me started on building from the net out.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote