View Single Post
Old
10-26-2010, 05:34 PM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Those are years none of us will get back. The fact we're still Islanders fans is a testament to our stupidity and stubbornness I suppose....but now that there's some light, let's not rush to judge and burn our goalie - or start a thread JUST TO CRITICIZE HIM.

It's absurd.
We're in some agreement here. But only to speak as a devil's advocate, I know that enough of us get a little nervous when it looks like he grimaces after a save resulting in a stoppage in play, or when he's slow getting up. In light of this I kind of understand how the snake-bitten portion of the Isles' fanbase could have enough concerns about him to warrant a thread....maybe a DiPietro "concern" thread would have been a less scathing title.

I need to catch myself, too - these guys have only played 8 games and have a respectable record within those games. I just feel that he may pressure himself to tad too much (obvious understatement) and that it should be emphasized, possibly by Gordon, that his quality will be measured in goals against & percentage rather that shooting the puck to center ice 9 times and getting called for icing or making a turnover 8 of them.

Regardless, a healthy DP is a great player, no doubts there. A healthy smart DP can be elite. This is the conjecture that needs to be made by the coaching staff. He has the drive, he wants to be elite; if he stops 38 shots in a 2-2 game and with 3 minutes left and for the first time in the game all of the sudden hits Bailey with a pass at the other teams' blue line resulting in a goal, we can talk about elite in the present tense.

Again, it's not criticism for criticism's sake; many of us feel we see a calmer team on the ice with Roloson......enough to make a debate of it. I want DP in his best form as much as the next fan; the smoother he plays, the more the team succeeds.....but regardless, turnovers are bad, m'kay?

If he toned it down a peg and stayed in position more, this whole conundrum would bve centered around his health - we wouldn't have to question his decision making process and how it can hurt us more often than it helps.