View Single Post
Old
10-26-2010, 09:44 PM
  #595
seventieslord
Registered User
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
This resonates, and is good use of penalty killing stats. He killed penalties and had some offensive talent. That at least shows him as a two-way NHL regular worth of Double-A level 3rd line duty.
It's really funny that the only stat I qouted that you found useful at all was simple counting stats that are era-dependent.

Quote:
I am surprised you haven't mentioned one significant fact: he was team captain for six years. The leadership qualities of anyone who captained an NHL team for over half a decade is clear, and may be a consideration in making a depth pick here.
Actually.... I completely overlooked that.

Quote:
If I could have found references to Murphy's intangibles, some kind of description or praise of him, I would have considered him for my team in this draft. I just couldn't find anything after looking. If you could cite references (other than your own watching of a game) to what you say is his solid, honest, hardworking, strong, and physical NHL performances, him being strong defensively, that would be appreciated.
18 months ago, in AA10, I had a hard time finding anything and basically went by the fact that I had seen him play physically and his PK stats were very strong. Now I have scouting report books that make this much easier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 1973
Has good size and a hard, accurate shot... fast enough to keep up with Unger, one of the fastest centers around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 1976
Learned aggressive checking under Fred Shero in Omaha...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 1977
New breed of captain, in the Bobby Clarke/Jim Schoenfeld mold... spends time on flights pacing the aisles talking with teammates...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 1978
falls into the mould of Bobby Clarke - work and inspiration... leadership plus production have placed him as one of the mainstays in Kings' revival...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 1979
Even without scoring, he contributes with his leadership and defensive skills... Former coach Bob Pulford eates him among the league's premier two-way players... he's not afraid to dig in the corner for the puck and is a good penalty killer... He calls his play in the defensive zone "the strongest part of my game"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 1980
Heady, unselfish defensive stalwart...especially effective along the boards, he makes deft use of skates to move puck while fending off opponents with arms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Scouting Report 1981
dependable, hard working winger who checks strongly... a strong leader who has achieved success in hockey through hard work... a much-respected man in NHL circles...
that, with six seasons of NHL captaincy, would be great at this point for a guy who had 200 career points, let alone 556! In fact, he sounds like Mike Keane with 80 more points in 300 fewer games and without all the cups.


Last edited by seventieslord: 10-27-2010 at 02:47 AM.
seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote