View Single Post
Old
10-27-2010, 01:31 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
true what your saying, the quality of the play was better imo, cant explain it but just better times to me. I dont think the talent was that bad, though today it is better. Then your 4th line really did consist of a legit goon or 2, not these pansies today, though the player on the 4th lien today is better than the 4th lien then.
It goes further up than that even... 3rd lines are significantly more competitive today. That's why a guy like Crosby, who would have absolutely torn up the league 25+ years ago is putting up low 100's point totals. You stick Gretzky out there today and he doesn't come close to the point totals he managed... and it isn't because the officiating is different or anything else, it's because the competition is better.

Now, watching elite guys tool on scrubs may be a bit more entertaining/highlight reel worthy... but I (personally) enjoy the more competitive play we see today (which is also a product of significant advances in coaching since the 80s - my GOD were those teams sloppy).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote