View Single Post
Old
05-14-2005, 02:39 AM
Malefic74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary69
Well, if a d-man isn't elected even once to a post-season all-star during his whole career, is he really HHOF material. Just as an example, name some d-men from the past 20 years, who wouldn't meet the suggested criteria (Norris winner/runner-up or 1st/2nd All-Star team) and who you'd still like to get in.
If he continues his high quality of play....

Adam Foote.

There isn't a team in the league right now who wouldn't leap at the chance to acquire Foote and immediately drop him into the number 1 pairing, yet apart from selections to various national teams he has not been selected to All-Star games or nominated for the Norris (that I could find)

From the past you could argue the merits of players like Craig Ludwig, Mark Howe or Kevin Lowe. I'm not saying these guys are all HHOF worthy, but their contributions to the game and their teams is not insignificant, yet your criteria would render them irrelevant.

At the very least each player should have his merits looked at on an individual basis. I don't think its fair to toss out anyone based on awards or all-star nominations since those have been heavily weighted to reward offensive players for 20 years with the exception of the Selke Trophy. If reasons can then be found why these gentlemen or others are not worthy let it be decided then, not before they even enter the discussion.