View Single Post
Old
05-14-2005, 05:45 AM
CRUNK JUICE

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CRUNK JUICE
I was just thinking the other day about a thread someone did where he normalized stats over the various eras for both production and consistancy. Even after accounting for the higher scoring era, Francis was still in the top 7 or 8 (before his last two seasons, I think) and was ranked first for consistancy on a list that only included all time greats.

Even if you raise the bar on the HOF to a ridiculously high degree, Francis gets in. Most likely on the first ballot too.

I, for one, am very glad ogopogo has nothing to do with the selection committee. Some very deserving candidates would get snubbed.

And as a final point, like it or not, longevity is amjor factor in determining the calibre of a player's a career and his value. Who would you rather have: Jimmy Carson, who's going to give you 3 amazing seasons and then flame out, or a guy like St. Francis who'll be good for a ppg AND dominating all 3 zones of the ice for more than 2 decades? Choice seems pretty obvious to me.

And for the record, the Tikkanen-Francis comparison ranks among the worst all time on a board that's riddled with terrible comparisons.