View Single Post
Old
10-28-2010, 11:47 AM
IrishSniper87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I can't wait to drink the tears of Carter Haters once he's re-signed to a big 7-year extension.
While 7 is a bit long, I can swallow a 5-6 year deal at $6-6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I think so as well. Anything above 7 is when my eyebrows start to seriously go up, but there aren't that many 40-40 guys around in the league who are also great defensively.
Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
7mil for carter is a lot IMO

isn't that like 1mil shy of ovie? on par with crosby? carter != either of them
Ugh, not exactly. As mentioned earlier, Crosby gets closer to $9 and Ovy has years of getting $10, but the actual cap hits are slightly reduced since they both signed longterm.

In many ways, Carter at $6.5 is more then reasonable given his production. The only reason someone would object would be personal dislike, the stats back up a contract like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I'd rather trade Carle and then bring up Gustafsson. Instead of trading Timonen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
I would move Coburn and Timonen before I give up Matt Carle. Carle has looked very good, especially when paired with Meszaros. Timonen is a logical choice because of his cap hit, granted I still think he has some good years left. The era we are in now is all about value, and Timonen while not necessarily overpaid is a #2 making #1 money.
The problem is we have so much locked up in our D, that we need cheap forwards right now.

We NEED to move one of Timonen, Carle, Meszaros in the next year anyway. It's retarded to have 5 defenseman making over $3 (especially since 3 of them are 4+) but only have 4 forwards over $3 (with one of our high paid forwards being freaking Hartnell).

If I was the GM, my offseason plan is simple. I'd trade Timonen while he still has value (his value to cap hit is decreasing quickly as he ages, but it's tradeable as the last two years of his deal he only makes $8 total). I'd also trade Hartnell and Carcillo in order to keep some of the other players with priority going to

Carter
Giroux
---
---
Leino
---
---
Zherdev.

If possible, I would move Hartnell first and see how far I can go before moving Timonen, but let's face it, we can't afford to field a good and balanced squad with Briere and Timonen taking up nearly $13 mill of our cap space and them both starting next season at the ages of 34 and 36 respectively.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote