View Single Post
Old
05-14-2005, 05:16 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
Keon is a good choice and he was my first favourite Leaf. As a kid I had a number 14 Leafs jersey. For the sake of comparison, here are Sittler's stats:

As a Leaf, 916 points in just 848 games (389 goals, 527 assists).

Fought Bobby Clarke before the first puck was dropped in a playoff game against the Flyers! (Surely that should count for something)

For a scorer, he was never afraid to get his nose dirty, racking up almost as many pims as points.

Scored one of Canada's biggest goals ever in the 1976 Canada Cup.

Much like Keon, Sittler's story was messed up by Harold Ballard. Had the old goat not traded Lanny MacDonald in a deliberate attempt to upset Sittler, Darryl would likely have finished his career as a Leaf and become the only thousand point player in team history. Who knows? A Macdonald/Sittler combo might have even led Roger Neilson's squad to a Stanley Cup.

Frank Mahovlich is another player who should have played his entire career in Toronto, if not for stupid ownership.

I love Keon, but he loses a few points for not forgiving and forgetting- especially when another hockey great- Ken Dryden- made such a push to welcome him back.
Keon was my favourite Leaf when I was growing up. I also wore #14 throughout my minor hockey days.

That said the best Leafs player of all time would have to be the Big M - Frank Mahovolich. People forget that early in his career he was a fearsome fighter as well as being offensively gifted.

What drove him out of Toronto after 11 seasons was not ownership but the mind games Punch Imlach played.