Thread: Speculation: Theoretical Goaltender Talk
View Single Post
Old
10-29-2010, 01:27 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

vCash: 500
Between the two, they're on pace to give up a combined... roughly... 215 with 5 games left to split between them. We'll use an average so far in our wins, 3 goals against (3.3 to be exact), so we'll tack on another 15 to that total. So, around 230 for the season.

This is an improvement from last seasons 253 against, yet 230 would put us between Colorado (17th in GA) and Ottawa (18th in GA). So we're still in the bottom half of the league for goals against, which is never, ever a good recipe. There are the outliers to that stat (Colorado making the playoffs, Pittsburgh giving up 235 and still going deep) but its flirting with disaster hoping every night you can spot a team three and outscore them from there, would you agree?

I do believe Ellis' numbers will come back around to career averages and hes just off to a slow start, but I worry about Smith. We'll also be asking one or both goaltenders to increase workload this year. If Ellis can run about a .905 and hit a hot streak of about seven or eight games, I think it might but us far enough into the clear but i'm not sure. The only thing that comforts me at the moment is that Ellis once went 44 games with Nashville, and that was statistically his best season (.924sv%/2.34GAA).

Is it early to call for someones head? Sure. That wasn't the intention of my post, it was really just to consider options and what we think might happen with our tandem. If Ellis can rebound hard and Smith can hold around .900, I think we can do some damage.