Thread: News Article: Carter trade rumors heating up
View Single Post
Old
10-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Why? If Briere had produced on the PP last year he would have had his best year as a Flyer to date, and one of the best seasons of his career in overall production. Briere isn't just "not very good defensively," he's atrocious defensively. Over the course of a season that can nullify a lot of the good he does offensively (in fact, it has over his career) and it's one of the primary reasons he's spent a lot of time on the wing in his career (despite being a good offensive center).
Briere's success in Buffalo during his career season was playing on a line where he was comfortable as a unit playing together, it also resulted in his best +/- stat to date. Game on the line and a defensive zone faceoff I am not looking to have Briere and his line on the ice, but down by one and in the offensive zone I would put him out there every time right now. The big question is can they carry this current success through the season. I am encouraged about them picking up after the summer, so I am confident.

Y
Quote:
ou have one player that struggles to play wing: Carter (especially RW, and it's just plain stupid to put him there if you want him to produce offense at a high level).

You have two players that are fine at wing: Giroux and Briere.
I am not arguing that Briere or Giroux would be better suited at wing over Carter, but I am stating that given the choice of how each are playing and where their game would benefit I would prefer Giroux and Briere at center over Carter. If this does not work then get a wing who can play as a natural winger....

Quote:
Now, call me silly, but I can create the best possible lineup by putting the guy that is a very good center (and has outscored the other two at that position, for the record) at center, and getting good production from one of the other two at the wing position.

All while getting a better defensive line out of the equation.
I would agree with you at this point it is the logical choice because Jeff Carter just cannot play any other position and do it well. I know Laviolette gave these lines a whirl for a game or so and it is what I would like to see right now if Giroux is being forced to wing by Carters inability to play anywhere else, your thoughts....:

JvR-Richards or Giroux-Giroux or Richards
Leino-Briere-Hartnell
Powe-Carter-Zherdev
Carcillo-Betts-Shelley

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote