View Single Post
Old
10-29-2010, 10:17 AM
Calderon

vCash: 500
Why isn't Gordie Howe more popular in Canada? Barely got mentioned twice in this thread so far. I reckon it cannot be just his age as Richard was born seven years earlier yet is more popular (did MR's popularity rise after his death?).

As for Finland, Saku Koivu is surely up there. I really didn't like him for a long time, since he played for the biggest rival of my favourite team in Finland at the time (TPS/Jokerit), but his tireless resilient efforts in the blue-white jersey finally won my heart. Beating cancer maybe got him a few sympathy points on the top. Personally my favourite Finnish hockey player has always been Teemu Selšnne. He played for my team, got his autograph in person when he returned to Finland after the brilliant rookie season, always delivered at the highest level both in the NHL (well except those few infamous years with the bad knee) and for Team Finland, a likable guy etc.

As for others... yah Helminen is okay I guess, I respect his long career and records in the national team but in the end he was chosen in the team a couple times mainly for the sake of breaking another record imho (although admittedly it's not like we ever had an abundance of elite playmakers to take over Helminen's spot). Peltonen did score the crucial hat trick but I don't really care for the guy that much. For some reason I always kept the guys who made it in the NHL in much higher regard.

Calderon is offline   Reply With Quote