View Single Post
Old
05-14-2005, 10:24 PM
God Bless Canada

vCash: 500
Adam Foote isn't a HHOF. In fact, I'd make a case for him being in the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame for his international contributions (our best d-man at 1996 and 2004 World Cup and 2002 Olys) than HHOF. He's been a strong defensive defenceman for many years, but outside of around 01 or 02, he's never appeared on people's top five or top 10.

Comparing Tikannen to Francis is weak. Tik was one of the best defensive forwards of the past quarter century. So was Francis. Tik, though, had five or six elite two-way seasons. Francis has what, 10 or 15? Yeah, Tik won four rings, and could have won the Conn Smythe in 1989, but he wasn't elite for enough seasons. (I'd argue Francis had at least five seasons - 1990, 1993, 1995, 1996 and 1998) better than Tik's best.

Yzerman's season in 1989 is one of the best I've ever seen. Anyone who turns Gerard Gallant into a 93-point scorer and second team all-star is worthy of that distinction. And Yzerman did win the Pearson that year, which, if you ask most players, means more than the Hart, because it's voted on by their peers.

Jimmy Carson, I believe, is one of the six fastest players to ever reach 100 goals. Too bad his heart and his knee went out after that.

I don't think major awards and post-season all-star selections should be used as criteria, at least not for forwards. Defencemen, perhaps, as I think all of the current/future HHOF d-men were multiple time post-season all-stars. Statsny and Mahovalich only won the Calder. Do the Selke, Calder and Lady Byng count? Plus, it doesn't account for the strength of different eras. The elite talent was far better in the 60s, 70s and 80s than it is today.

Last edited by God Bless Canada: 05-14-2005 at 10:30 PM.