View Single Post
Old
10-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Parise09*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I think some of the animosity comes due to the actions of his agent and the Devils' fans. The fans acted all off season that they had the cup wrapped up with Kovalchuk, even though everyone else was telling them that their defense sucks and they have no way to get the puck to he forwards in transition and generate scoring chances. They also acted like the contract wouldn't hurt because Lou will just trade Rolston, Zubrus and/or Salvador. Now they say Zubrus has been their best player and just wait until they get Salvador and Rolston back from injury, every thing will be fine and it is only 10 games into the season.

Kings fans just believe Kovalchuk made the wrong decision and since the fans can only rub it in his face once every couple of years, they want to take advantage of their first chance. Kovalchuk signing with the Devils doesn't really cause any problems for the Kings because they only face him once or twice per season. I highly doubt they will ever meet in the finals, the Devils are too old and are about to enter a re-build in a couple of seasons. Time will tell and Kovalchuk is still only 27 years old and if the Devils can re-build quickly, he still could get his ring.

I believe that Kovlachuk took money over his best chance to win a Stanley Cup. Devils' fans disagree, but so far it is looking good for the Kings and not Kovalchuk. I don't have a problem with Kovalchuk and the Kings will be just fine without him. The Kings lost Doughty and still have a strong team. Defensive depth is the name of the game in the "new" NHL, no need for 3 #1 LWs.
La would have been better with Kovy no doubt though. But for the money, I think LA is in a better position not signing him. No need to hold a grudge on a player who decided that 20 million was too much to give up. Had similar offers been made, I have no doubt that Kovy would have signed with the Kings.