View Single Post
Old
05-15-2005, 07:28 AM
gary69

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada

I don't think major awards and post-season all-star selections should be used as criteria, at least not for forwards. Defencemen, perhaps, as I think all of the current/future HHOF d-men were multiple time post-season all-stars. Statsny and Mahovalich only won the Calder. Do the Selke, Calder and Lady Byng count? Plus, it doesn't account for the strength of different eras. The elite talent was far better in the 60s, 70s and 80s than it is today.
Well, I think that the exception rule could be used to take care of problem you raised. Three forwards with most points, who don't meet the criteria, are Francis, Gartner and Stastny I believe, so I think they would fit in pretty nicely within the one decade timeframe. Well, maybe the years could be watered down to once in 5 years, although I wouldn't like since to me it doesn't give long enough perspective.

Calder doesn't count IMO, it doesn't measure a player against all the best regardless of age, Byng is mainly about something else than being the best player. Selke I mentioned in my earlier post.

Note, that obviously not everyone who's being selected to All-Star teams would ever be considered even though eligible (Gallant you already mentioned).

IMO, that not too many worthy ones wouldn't meet the criteria and they could be dealt with exception rule.