View Single Post
Old
10-31-2010, 08:59 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Eh, I simply don't buy that much of it. I mean, how many NHL teams were there in Northern California before the Sharks got there? And I doubt Northern California somehow had this massive cadre of previous NHL fans who refused to go to Sharks games because the Sharks weren't their favorite team.
Well, there are a TON of transplants working in the tech industry... so I'm sure there is some of that. However, you're ignoring the larger point... there isn't the homegrown fanbase there (well, there is, but it isn't an affluent demographic yet). You need to develop that over time... so you have people in their late 20s and 30s who are starting to make a bit of money (God I wish I was there...) and think to themselves, "I got some disposable coin, lets get season tickets."

Of course, picking on SJ is the wrong tree... they're doing fine. Sure, they're not rolling in the coin, but they're also spending to the cap and not going under. When you got teams like Nashville, PHX, etc. out there... SJ is a success story. So is Anaheim in the face of TB, FLA, etc.

Quote:
I mean, even Le Batard admits this, beyond football, people in Florida are bandwagon and I think that extends to California. I mean, it's interesting to me that before the Heat's big 3, the Heat played to half-full houses even though they had one of the NBA's most exciting and dynamic players, were consistently a PO team, and won a championship in 2006. So why would that dynamic change for hockey which if anything, is an even more foreign sport down there.
I mean, pretty much every sport is going to struggle in FLA outside of football. That's just reality... and even then, you're competing with NCAA football past the NFL.

Quote:
Also, with Dallas, you are essentially operating on an "exception proves the rule" principle despite a couple of very good counterexamples.

Sure, maybe they got lucky in Dallas, doesn't change the fact that SJ and Anaheim have both been failures despite some solid, competitive success.
But that's just it, and why I brought up the fact that there are a lot of Cali kids playing hockey these days. They're quite similar, IMO. Dallas has just had more consistent success which has given that organization more momentum (it helps that they were an established team as opposed to an expansion team).

Sharks played to 100.4%, 100.0%, 99.5%, and 99.6% the last 4 years... you really want to label that a "failure"?