View Single Post
Old
05-16-2005, 09:02 AM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
I would too, but there has to be a demand for it, and apparently there isn't
You are 100% correct, there is no demand for it. The only other AHL team that does not have a webcast is Edmonton.

The majority of Flyers fans could care less that the Phantoms are in the conference finals. I know a number of Flyer STHs who were given numerous regular season game vouchers and playoff vouchers in club boxes and none of them even had the slightest interest in going. In fact, one of them told me that they would rather watch paint dry than watch the Phantoms. Going a step further, they also said that they couldn't even give them away because nobody wanted them.

The bottom line is that until the Calder Cup finals, the Phantoms will probably not get tv exposure. Even then, Comcast probably won't cover a game until it looks apparent that the Phantoms will clinch.

Further, unless the Phantoms have a Cup clinching game, the "actual" (not paid attendance) crowd size will be no more than 6,000.

BTW, do you know who else would volunteer to broadcast the Phantoms games? How about college students whose career goal is to become sports broadcasters. What a great way to broadcast the games inexpensively (since you don't have to pay interns) while providing a service to local colleges. Unfortunately, this would be thinking outside of the box, which Comcast seems unable to do. Afterall, they would much rather cover poker or rebroadcast Inside Golf instead of carrying a live playoff hockey game.