View Single Post
Old
10-05-2003, 08:58 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Could be the Islanders weren't interested in Smith...
Definately...but I bet you the Rangers and Avs would be.

Quote:
Janne's 28. He's had chronic back problems. It's not likely he'd be around for long after the 2004 lockout anyway, and his contract is up after this season. As a result, his value as a tradeable asset is probably just going to continue to decline.
"chronic back problems"? The guy played 76 games last season. 81 before that. 82 before that, and 81 the two seasons before that. Oh yeah, there's an injury risk. I also don't see how age is an issue - Janne is one year younger than Smith, who Lowe feels the need to keep around.

Quote:
After seeing Anson Carter vanish during January and February each season as an Oiler, I don't see why not.

Aside from being 2 years younger and 800k cheaper, Dvorak has scored 30 in the NHL (Carter never has) and plays a better 2-way game.
Oh wow, Carter disappears for two months so Kevin Lowe goes out and gets that paragon of consistency, Radek Dvorak. Also - trading "chronic back problem"-man Janne is good, but bringing in "has only one knee"-man Dvorak is good as well? It's a terrible gamble, trading a 29-goal-scorer for a guy who has only ever played well on one line, ever, period.

Quote:
You're aware that Moreau has just agreed to a considerable pay-cut on a long-term contract, right? $5.3m over 4 years for a guy who provides a lot of grit, heart, and experience isn't a bad deal in my view.
I'm going to need to see a link on that. According to NHLPA.com, he's earning $1.5 million next season. Which is too much, any way you cut it.

Quote:
Isbister wasn't brought in because he was a 2nd line player. He was brought in because he *could* be a 2nd line player. Recall that Mike York also wound up on the 4th line after arriving in Edmonton. Does that mean picking up York was a mistake? hmm- well, he wasn't on the 4th line the next season, was he. Not comparing the two players... just pointing out that it's pretty foolish to evaluate the trade based on a dozen games at the end of the '02-03 season. Isbister is starting this season in the Oilers' top 6. If he's not in the Oilers' top 6 by the end of this season, then *that* will be good reason to suspect the trade didn't work out.
There are two differences between Mike York and Brad Isbister:

1) The group of forwards in Edmonton when York came in and the group of forwards in Edmonton when Isbister came in are completely different - nowhere near as deep.

2) Kevin Lowe moved Tom Poti for York, and Janne Niinimaa for Isbister. York was low-risk/high-reward, Isbister is high-risk/high-reward.

At any rate, like I said, he's not a bad GM, just over-rated. People give him all this credit for being doing the best with what little he has, but there are other, better small-market teams out there.