Old
10-05-2003, 09:17 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Definately...but I bet you the Rangers and Avs would be.

"chronic back problems"? The guy played 76 games last season. 81 before that. 82 before that, and 81 the two seasons before that. Oh yeah, there's an injury risk. I also don't see how age is an issue - Janne is one year younger than Smith, who Lowe feels the need to keep around.

Oh wow, Carter disappears for two months so Kevin Lowe goes out and gets that paragon of consistency, Radek Dvorak. Also - trading "chronic back problem"-man Janne is good, but bringing in "has only one knee"-man Dvorak is good as well? It's a terrible gamble, trading a 29-goal-scorer for a guy who has only ever played well on one line, ever, period.

I'm going to need to see a link on that. According to NHLPA.com, he's earning $1.5 million next season. Which is too much, any way you cut it.

There are two differences between Mike York and Brad Isbister:

1) The group of forwards in Edmonton when York came in and the group of forwards in Edmonton when Isbister came in are completely different - nowhere near as deep.

2) Kevin Lowe moved Tom Poti for York, and Janne Niinimaa for Isbister. York was low-risk/high-reward, Isbister is high-risk/high-reward.

At any rate, like I said, he's not a bad GM, just over-rated. People give him all this credit for being doing the best with what little he has, but there are other, better small-market teams out there.
Is that why he received death threats at the deadline when he traded Carter and Niinimaa. Lowe is criticized to no end by fans.