View Single Post
Old
05-16-2005, 04:34 PM
Malefic74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo
Scott Stevens will be in the Hall of Fame. He was a 5 time all star, 2 time Norris runner up and a Conn Smythe Winner. Rod Langway won two Norris Trophies, was a three time all star and a Hart runner up. Bill Gadsby was a 7 time all star and 3 time Norris runner up. My point being, if a defensive defenseman is GREAT at what he does, he will be recognized for it. These three are all defensive defensemen that deserve a prominent place in the Hall because they were GREAT.

Foote is good, not GREAT. Good is not HOF worthy.

As well, a lot of excellent defensive defensemen also happen to score a lot. Does that mean they cannot play good defense? Re: Pronger, Chelios, Bourque etc.
My point is not specifically related to Foote, but to defensive defencemen in general. It has been 20 years since the Norris Trophy was awarded to a player known primarily for defense. Foote is great at what he does, every coach and fan who watches the games know it. Is he better all-around than Pronger, Chelios, Bourque... etc? Objective observation says no and rightfully so. They bring that additional dimension to the game which is their offense. (Personally if I was holding a lead I'd put Foote out before Pronger and Chelios) And yes I know that Pronger, Bourque and Chelios all play good defense, the question is, if that was all they did would the HHOF even notice?

The HHOF is clearly biased against defensive players and has been since its inception. How many pure defensive forewards are in the Hall? One. Bob Gainey. How many pure defensive defencemen? Langway and Gadsby. 3 players in 25 years is pathetic by any measure. Even if that number is 10 it's still pretty sad given that at any one time 30% of the players on the ice are there to play defence. And I would suggest that in the last 10 years the number is a lot higher than that.