View Single Post
Old
10-05-2003, 10:29 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fists of Fuhry
Despite Thome's ranting, you have to agree Mizral, that he does bring up an interesting point - Vancouver is in it's prime and probably will not have many more chances to push for the cup before Nazzy and Bert are gone. Do not forget that the Oilers were still a small market team when they had Smyth Weight and Guerin - who in my opinion were a better #1 line than the Bert Mor and Naz line. Lowe came to the Oilers right as Weight and Guerin were at the cusp of their prime and were required to be let go due to salary restrictions (trust me, the same will happen to Vancouver with Naslund and Bertuzzi in the very near future). Lowe took up his tenure during what can be described as (at best) a mediocre situation and over the course of a short 2 years, has acquired most of the pieces for his visionary team beyond 2004. I think that most oilfans will agree that in a couple of years or so, we'll have a pretty scary-good talent pool to watch here in Edmonton. Just my opinion.
I disagree that Vancouver is in it's prime. I believe we're 2 years away from truely knowing the potential of the club. Why?

The Sedin's will be 25, Cooke will be 26, etc.. etc.. - by then, more of the better players of this team will be entering their prime as the best players (Naslund, Bertuzzi, Jovanovski, Ohlund, and Morrison) are still well within theirs.

As for losing our players - well, somebody here says we aren't a small market team. Now you say we will lose them as if we were? Which one is it?

Naslund & Jovo are both here longterm still. It's Ohlund & Bertuzzi & Morrison we're not sure about. I would argue that Bertuzzi means a lot less to the Canucks than people realize, but even still, I am not too worried about losing him. Ohlund I"m more worried about, but feel we should be able to resign him. Morrison is tricky, but he's a Pitt Meadows boy, I think we can resign him to his hometown.

So it's not Naslund & Jovanovski that are going to be gone, but the other three that could be the worry.

I just can't 'trust you' that Vancouver will lose all their best players for little to nothing, though, when the management of the team has shown that they CAN resign key members of the club long term - twice now. We in Vancouver were hearing that'd we'd lose Naslund and we didn't. Then we heard that Jovanovski was going to fly the coop for the Rangers, and he didn't. So I'm sorry if I'm not going to just go with your word on this one. I'll believe it when I see it.