Thread: Salary Cap: G's contract
View Single Post
Old
11-02-2010, 12:59 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

vCash: 500
Meltzer: Flyers' Giroux Possesses Instinct, Skill Others Dream Of

Nice write up...interesting how he brings in Carter. I would like to hear his "argument for another day" although I guess it might be deemed a "strawman argument."

Call me crazy or what you will but I don't think it's "silly" to factor in his "coming out party" of sorts by mentioning what he's done in the playoffs and into this season. For 35 games since April he has shown, like Meltzer said,that he's taken the first large step to his evolution as an elite/special NHL player. It's not just some anomalie to blow off IMO...but to each their own perspective...

The only thing IMO that will prevent him is injuries due to his size constraints but thus far he's been hard nosed and let's hope he stays healthy.

Quote:
Today's Daily Drop at Versus.com looks at Claude Giroux.

If you ask Giroux about any of the jaw-dropping plays he makes, he will inevitably chalk it up to simply being in the right place and reacting -- without realizing that he actually isn't reacting to the play at all.

Instead, he's anticipating correctly where the puck is going to go and what the defender is going to do next. What Giroux possesses in spades is the coveted "hockey sense" that coaches, GMs and scouts often discuss in roundabout terms. He is actually thinking a step ahead of the defenders and goalies.

Unlike Jeff Carter, Giroux isn't blessed with size and strength, nor does he possess a "heavy" shot with the type of natural movement that Carter's wrist shot generates (which hasn't always been a boon to Carter, but that's a topic for another day). But Giroux is deceptively competitive.

He is not afraid to get hit to make a play and he already shown that he rises to the occasion in big games. His point-per-game average this season and offensive consistency (he has yet to be held pointless in back-to-back games through the first dozen games) have been the next step in his evolution as an NHL player.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote