View Single Post
Old
11-02-2010, 01:10 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I would wager Hitch's unemployment has more to do with him waiting for the right job, and the right team wanting him than anything else... he'll be employed soon enough.

Sharp and Hitch have also remained close. According to Sharp himself they continue to speak regularly, and Sharp credits Hitch a lot with where he's at in his career the last time I read about it.

That article is just full of piling on fail.

Justin Williams was dealt because this team was DEVASTATED on the blue line and he was the price for Markov, who was a beast for a team that almost went to (and probably would have won) the SCFs. Sharp ASKED to leave, and they accommodated him.

And that article needs to think a whole hell of a lot harder about Gagne, and why his production went down. And, before moving forward, Gagne has long been my favorite Flyer and he's the only Flyer's jersey I own (or will own in the foreseeable future).

Gagne's production dropped because he shot 7.8 *ing percent in 2002-3. That's not any coach's fault. In '03-'04 Gagne played on the most important line on the team (with Keith Primeau), which was a checking line, because there was no way you were going to ask Tony Amonte and LeClair to do that job at that point in their careers (not because they were veterans, but because they would have failed to do it effectively).

In '05-'06, under Hitchcock and without the aforementioned guys on the team, Gagne was put on the first line and popped 47 goals... the best season of his career. Moreover, until injuries devastated that team, we were the best team in the NHL. So, I think we should slow down on the "Hitch's obtuseness to the new NHL train."

Williams and Sharp were on a veteran laden team that was trying to win the Cup... not be a developmental system. That's the price you pay.
You make overall good points something of course I would never expect you to acknowledge of my own points...Nevertheless, my contention is that the Hitchcock factor was very real regardless. No it wasn't the only factor and the article is scant and I didn't agree with the Gagne assessment either however the premise is still not exactly way off with respect to Hitchcock's defensive style and coaching style where he would belittle people to get them motivated. Also I'm not so sure Hitch has his pick of NHL teams....I think around the league they recognize his shortcomings outweigh his strengths. He's a short shelf life coach in a league that keeps getting younger....so again nothing to discount....

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 11-02-2010 at 01:17 PM.
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote