View Single Post
Old
11-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Stamkos was on a great strength and conditioning program. Probably the best available. He still managed 79 games his rookie season. We may not be able to get Gary Roberts, but there has to be a next best thing, right? Turris, OEL, and Gormley all have one thing in common, they're skinny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Looking back into it, it looks like most of Stamkos's training was the summer following his rookie year. I wonder why I'm remembering it so differently. Maybe he just had off from practice?
The every few games off thing didn't occur till mid-season when Mike Sullivan was hired as assistant coach (not saying it was his idea). The initial plan was to do a couple games on one game off but I believe it ended up just being days instead of games. I don't know for sure how it was done, perhaps he didn't practice some days but I do know midway through the season they put a huge emphasis on getting Stamkos physically stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Wasn't Stamkos a bit different though? I remember at the combine, scouts were raving about his fitness level. He was off the charts.

Not arguing with you, really, I just wonder if Stamkos is a fair comparison.
I believe Stamkos was specifically lacking in strength and power.