View Single Post
Old
11-02-2010, 08:32 PM
ScottFC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
These last few games have been fascinating delves into how the human mind devises explanations and colors its observations of the process based on the end result. Gionta isn't scoring so he's playing like crap (nevermind that he racks up four shots a game and umpteen shots). They're only shooting from the perimeter (NHL.com has shot charts these days, and they disagree). They have no energy and effort when they're losing, but they're just flying when they get easy wins.

70 shots, one goal, and suddenly the story is that the team plays like crap top to bottom. Tonight they launched 65 shot attempts, and Columbus had all of 40. But hey, they got ridiculously outworked.

Then they'll get 6 on 45 shots some other pair of game and everyone will be ooh-ing and aaah-ing about how well everyone is playing. They won't have changed a lick, probably, but that's how humans work. We can't stand leaving something without an explanation. And "luck" is not one we can tolerate even though that's a big part of it. So the result colors the process.

They're still outshooting teams, getting good possession, getting chances. The 40+ shot against debacles seem to be a thing of the past or an exceedingly rare event. The Habs aren't going to end the season as the worst PP club in NHL history, Gionta won't keep being THIS snakebit for 70 more games (3 more shots tonight).

Frankly, I'm impressed: overall, this is the best the Habs have been in years.

But please, by all means, don't let me get in the way of the wailing and gnashing of teeth.
You're making way too much sense GTFO!

But Gionta is playing bad I don't care what the stats show he just isn't finding the inside of the net and imho it has a lot to do with him taking a second too long before shooting

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote