View Single Post
Old
11-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Well, standings are decided by points earned, not points possibly earned in the future. The standings aren't really out of whack, there is just a difference in games played that must be taken into consideration when looking at them.

Also, yesterday I've been calculating the average goal differential in any given game for each team. Boston's is about +1.68, which is ridiculous when for most teams it hovers somewhere around +/- 0.50. It also expresses how bad New Jersey is. They are at about -1.72. They are coming close to losing every game by 2 goals on average.
That just seems like semantics to me. That's what I meant by "out of whack". The discrepancy in games played is hiding the true order of how well the teams have been doing. Sure, you have to win the games first, but if you had to bet money on Boston winning three out of eight points in their next four games to catch up to Montreal, wouldn't you bet that they would?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
NJ plays tonight against Chicago(who also has played a lot, I think this will be their 15th game), NJ has the Rangers on Friday at home
You're right, NJ isn't leading the league in GP. Chicago is.

Still, that's another point I forgot to make. People expected Chicago to be a contender going into this season just because they won the Cup last year. Ignoring the fact that I didn't and don't think they're a contender, Chicago's record is actually kind of bad and the only reason they're up to second in their conference is due to GP.

Chicago is 7-6-1. So they're .500 in terms of wins and losses. Detroit has five less games played and is only two points behind. Nashville has four less games played and is only two points behind.

So, yeah, expect Chicago and possibly Montreal to lose their spots relatively soon.