View Single Post
Old
11-04-2010, 04:03 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
i think Stuart was a lot better than people gave him credit for. i also think many people are way too eager to mulliganize certain players over others for whatever reason. Stuart, already with a decent reputation, was either the best or second best defenseman for Calgary in the playoffs the year prior to coming here, comes here - a bad team with wonky leadership, is okay overall and draws a ton of ire... which was further cemented when he didn't come back to L.A. after being dealt to Detroit... where again, was VERY good in their cup run.

but what remains unfortunately, is a lot of blah frah without any context, and lingering memories of a poor game 7 against Pittsburgh in the following finals... which was perhaps the worst game i have ever seen him play.

veering back now, as much as i love to punish Johnson and am usually one of the first in line to do so, i wouldn't think about dealing him for anything outside of a homerun swap (an example being a equally beneficial Forward for Defenseman deal) and would strongly consider paying him that 'potential' money

i don't think i'd have too much of an issue with $3.5 Million or so, but i may be a little iffy on $4 or more million... i like Giordano plenty (especially because he completely OWNS Dustin Brown), but i think he'll be paid too much.
I am right there with you in line when it comes to being critical of Johnson, but he is getting better. I agree with you on Stuart. With the Kings the physical tools and that part of his game didn't seem to be lacking, but his head did go on vacation too frequently. He was fine with Detroit.

Another thing to consider in our little Stuart/Johnson comparison. As critical as some people were about the amount Stuart was paid, it was still a very movable contract at the trade deadline.

Giordano has impressed me immensely. He does own Brown. There aren't many players in this league that when Brown hits them don't go down, or when they hit Brown they don't feel much effect. Giordano is one of those guys. Every time he and Brown come together it seems Brown is picking himself up as Giordano skates away.