View Single Post
Old
10-06-2003, 06:41 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
I agree with out on pretty much all accounts. Players "value" is more a function of what their contract status is, rather than how good they are. However, players in this situation (Havlat, Comrie, Gaborik, Richards, etc) do have the option to hold-out, which can give them more leverage than looks on paper. That's how Richards got his deal, although, I still think TB got schooled on that one. Feaster could have easily signed a deal $1-1.5 mil cheaper if he played his cards better.

If a team is reliant on a particular player as a cental figure on their team, then they are vulnerable to a hold-out. This is why that Havlat asking for anything substantial over and above the mandatory increase is stupid. He's a victim of the Sens depth. A hold-out has less impact on the team than it does to him (unless he holds-out until the playoffs), and the Sens know this. Gaborik has a bit more leverage, but he's also fighting against a management group (the Wild) that puts a lot of emphasis on maintaining a healthy salary structure, and are likely not going to take the short-term solution at the expense of their financial management over the long term.

As for Walsh, I guess if he does manage to get his guys the big contract, then it will be a successful tactic, however, I have my doubts that he's going to get the outcome he was looking for. He pushed off negotiations until right before the season. Starting earlier may have made some in-roads into getting the teams to come to a compromise solution earlier. It sounds like he's taking an antagonistic approach, and it wouldn't suprise me if the Wild and the Sens are being more aggresive than they usually would be in order to make an example out of Walsh, because he's being such an ass.
I couldn't agree with you more.

For all of those TB fans who applaud Richard's fat new contract, you know not what you do.....