View Single Post
Old
11-05-2010, 04:34 PM
wicker

vCash: 500
I'm not totally for Iginla, and I'm not totally against it, either. A few things come into play...

1. If Schenn has to be one of the pieces that goes back, it's not going to happen. One of the reasons that management is keeping Schenn up with the big club is in order to get him better situated with the team and the NHL, in general. I think that Lombardi plans on either trading Stoll sometime during the offseason, or not re-signing Handzus. In that case, he would rather have Schenn not be so green next season, and comfortably fit in the top nine. That's why they are keeping him up for as long as they can, in my opinion.

2. While Iginla is not exactly young, he does fill the sniper role. I know that the likes of Semin might be available (even though he is not a Lombardi kind of player, as we know), but I think there is a better chance of him re-signing at a slight discount then hitting the open market. With Thornton re-signing, that leaves Richards as the only gem of that UFA class. Dallas fans say that he loves Dallas and wants to get a deal done, even though their organization is still in disorder and that might come into play. That doesn't leave any viable options out there during the summer...

3. Lombardi might take a look at RFAs like Parise, Carter, etc., but the likelihood of those guys going anywhere are slim to none.

So, if the UFA period is fruitless (meaning that Richards re-signs with Dallas and is not available at all), and the RFAs all stick around with their teams, would Lombardi really feel comfortable going into the 2011-2012 season with a very good team that is still missing that piece? I think the Iginla situation - if he is available at all - will come down to a sort of a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush conclusion.

All in all, that's a lot of hypotheticals, and I'm very glad that I am not Lomardi!