View Single Post
Old
11-05-2010, 07:37 PM
McRanger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Those guys replaced other crappy vets though, youth wasn't really ready for top minutes. We had to field a team and I'm guessing that was the most cost effective way to go.
If you are rebuilding you do not sign a large number of top UFAs. They tried to sign Recchi too. Seems like an odd and idiotic strategy to get a top pick. Of course you need vets on any team, just not top ones.

Quote:
I mean, you have to have players, couldn't leave Richter/Graves/Leetch out to dry, right ?
No, though perhaps they should have traded them all. They all were leaving their prime at the time. Might have been good for a top pick in '00 or '01. That is a whole different discussion though.

Quote:
Either way, we were still in position to get the next young wave of players if we would've stayed away from any big moves after 2001. '02 thru '05 would've at least come close to landing those drafts top talents.
Please, dont even start me on Sather and his missed opportunities. I still maintain that the biggest mistake (or at least missed opportunity) this organization has had in a long time was Sather not gutting the team in '03.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote