View Single Post
Old
11-06-2010, 10:10 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
The facts about the soon expiring CBA and state of the Rangers payroll have been laid out in full detail by several posters.

Salary cap + little to no cap space + expiring CBA + important RFA's needing pay increases = NO Richards, NO Lecavalier, NO "top 4 free agent defenseman".

Sorry, that's the reality of the situation.

A list of players has been laid out several times, players that were drafted or brought in and made their NHL debut with the Rangers post-lock out, that are either currently on the roster or were at one point and just didn't pan out. Some can't see that the team had been rebuilding its system. And its actually paying off now.

Dubinsky, Callahan, Staal, Girardi, Del Zotto, Anisimov, Stepan, Grachev, Gilroy, Sauer, Lundqvist.

That's 11 homegrown players currently on the NHL roster.

Add to it Boyle and Prust who are still young (although not from the Rangers system).

And that's only this year. There were many failed attempts post-lockout that were promoted to the NHL team.

Not mentioned often is that the Jagr/Gomez era, too, had some teams full of young players.

Prucha, Moore, Ortmeyer, Betts, Ward, Immonen, Hollweg, Tyutin, Pock, Lisin, Hossa, Korpikoski, Byers, Sanguinetti, and others.

We are talking about 5 years. That's a lot of young players getting a chance.

Again, a rebuild of a system from scratch (ours was completely barren after the 2004 season) takes time, the talent we are starting to see are the guys actually worth keeping. Guys drafted the year after the lockout are now emerging as leaders on the NHL roster.

And no, I don't think "virtually all of our prospects will make it". I think a select few will, to be added to the NHL roster already full of them.

Kreider, Werek, McDonagh, McIlrath, Hagelin.

Those are the players in the system that I think will make it and stick long term.

I am not as high on a lot of them. But have hope some of them can make it.

That's far from every prospect.

And if you don't think Kreider will be on the NHL roster next year, you're fooling your self.

And The Rangers, even without Gaborik in the lineup, a team full of young homegrown talent without its elite NHL scorer is right in the thick of the NHL standings. But that's not tangible proof that these young guys are solid talent?

The Rangers are not signing any veteran free agents to huge long term contracts. They're just not. They can't. Its not financially feasible.

Redden's contract comes back in the summer, we still have Drury (full NMC), and Rozsival on the books, too, for next year.

Dubinsky(currently tied for NHL lead in goals), Callahan, Anisimov are RFA and need to be re-signed. Del Zotto is up next, soon.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote